One of the programs offered by Mercer Island Beach Club (MIBC), which is so special for my own family, is Swim Team. It’s a long-standing tradition that spans over 6 decades and is still going strong. Swim Team features program options for all swimming abilities, from 6 and 7 year olds joining Little Waves all the way through to advanced high school swimmers. Not only do participants hone their swimming skills and make lasting friendships, they learn self-discipline, how to set goals and work as a team as they practice and compete.
MIBC families – even though spring just arrived, it’s time to start planning for the 2015 Swim Team season! Registration is currently in session and runs until May 15th. You can register online here. Plus here are some dates to add to your family calendar:
- April 21 — Registration Night 6:00-8:00 pm at MIBC: Sylvia Swimwear staff will be on hand to help your swimmer find the right size suit. Logowear samples will be on hand for your swimmers to try on before you order. MIBC Logowear includes the following items: sweatshirt hoodies, zip up hoodies, warm up jackets with pants, sweat pants, pajama bottoms, pajama shorts, warm deck coats, embroidered towels & blankets, multiple colors of tote bags and custom swim caps.
- May 8 — Registration Deadline for Logowear and Apparel: Make sure your swimmer takes advantage of trying on the Logowear during Registration Night because once you place your order, the items cannot be exchanged or returned.
- May 15 — Registration Deadline for Swim Team: Online registration closes for all Swim Team levels.
- May 18 — Swim Team Opening Night: All swim team members’ first night of spring training. Parents will have a meeting at 6pm and the social committee will serve hot chocolate and cookies.
- May 18 to June 17 — Little Waves Introduction Session: The Little Waves will conduct their spring practice in two groups while they learn swim strokes and develop comfort in the pool.
- May 30th — Deadline for joining Team Unify calendar: Team Unify is used to schedule what meets swimmers will participate in, based on their availability. It’s also used to schedule parent volunteers for each meet. One parent for each swimmer competing in a meet must volunteer for 2 hours during the event to ensure the competitions run smoothly.
If you’d like to look at Swim Team swimwear prior to Registration Night, Sylvia Swimwear has two retail locations (Bellevue: 14100 NE 20th; Northgate: 9596 1st Ave NE, Seattle). You can go to either locations to try on suits. Once you determine the correct size your swimmer requires, you’ll need to order the suit from goswim.com. Click here for details on how to place your order online, but please note that the dates on the instructions were for the 2014 season.
My family is so excited for this year’s swim competition season! If you have any questions about the sign up timeline, or the upcoming spring practice that runs May 18th through June 19th, please ask in the comment section. See you at MIBC!